Anyone who doesn’t like peanut butter and jam on toast is utterly insane. Crunchy peanut butter and raspberry or strawberry jam is one of the finest culinary-wrong (but oh-so right) doings known to man. Like Cheesey Chips and Curry Sauce (a Welsh thing!?) or marmite. Love it or hate it, I can’t imagine anyone not liking these cookies, especially when eaten (almost) straight from the oven.
Ingredients – 8 tbsp plain flour|2 tbsp caster sugar|2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter|1 free-range egg yolk|50g/1¾oz butter, softened| icing sugar, for dusting|raspberry/strawberry jam.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the flour, sugar, peanut butter, egg yolk and butter into a large bowl, or mixer and whizz together until combined to a smooth dough.
- With lightly floured hands, break off evenly sized pieces of the dough and roll into walnut-sized balls. Petite is ace, as you can throw the whole thing in your cheeks at once.
- Make a thumb-print sized well in the dough (unless you have giant man-hands, in which case, you will want someone with more of a dinky pinky to do this for you) – fill the wells with jam.
- Place the dough balls onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Place in the oven and bake for ten minutes, or until just turning golden-brown.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and allow to cool for ten minutes.
- To serve, place on a serving plate and dust with icing sugar. Be prepared to fall in deep deep lust with the peanut butter and jam combo.